Created with flickr slideshow.

Friday, August 16, 2013

My Next to Last Post

Yes the prodigal blogger has returned and yes I am typing this (most likely the next to last blog post) on my laptop whose comma key doesn't function. I apologize for my long absence I have just been so busy doing nothing for the last week and a half that I have put off writing this post. Not walking 17 miles a day and getting literally tens of decent nights of sleep is really taking its toll. My knees no longer feel as though they are being attacked by a thousand vice grips and I no longer awaken at 5:30 am covered in sweat snow rain dust or dirt...because now I live indoors...not in a shelter. I'm getting ahead of myself.

Before I go into a little more detail about the completion of my journey there are a few people who deserve some thanks and I apologize for its lateness. I'd like to thank the Pietruchas who graciously offered to take Earl Grey and I into there home (via a most excellent sign displaying the deathly hallows) in Bennington VT. Had we not already accepted an invitation to spend the night at Sandman's house we would have no doubt accepted the offer of a shower and bed. I'd also like to thank Sandman for inviting us to his parents house and Wingmom for making our stay there so amazing. I had an awesome time eating some good food and getting some good sleep!

A huge special thanks to the Taylors. "Thanks" doesn't seem like enough. They gave us a place to sleep and rides back to the AT (allowing us to slack pack through some difficult terrain) for 3 nights! The food was terrific and the company even better. They helped to make Maine one of my favorite states. It was so nice to see Linda and John and Caleb after so many years! It really was great just to have some down time to sit in a comfortable chair and watch some movies.

You may assume that once we crossed the state line into Maine that it was all smooth sailing or that we were "almost done" as we heard southbounders so often say. Neither of these assumptions are true. In my opinion the most difficult portion of the Trail began with the beginning of Maine and didn't abate until approximately 230 miles later. There are about 290 miles of the AT in Maine and while that doesn't seem like much in a 2200 mile trek it is still a significant distance. We were "close" in a sense but also frustratingly far away. With the rough terrain the going was a bit slow which added significantly to the frustration. The slower pace had advantages though. It gave us more time to observe the spectacular landscape. Maine was a truly breathtaking land of vast lakes and rugged mountains.

The rest of Maine pales in comparison to my first real view of Katahdin. We walked so far for so long and Katahdin always seemed like a slightly unobtainable goal. Actually seeing it was indescribable. The next day after seeing Katahdin for the first time an even better closer vista came into view whilst crossing Abol Bridge just 9 miles from that "unobtainable" goal. Now the end was really in sight. We hiked 33.1 miles to stay at a shelter called The Birches nestled nearly at the foot of Katahdin. A 5 mile hike up the most difficult and technical mountain climb awaited us the next morning. The time passed so quickly for me. Before it seemed we had scarecely started the climb with Oz and Carjacker the fog was lifted and we could see the sign along with Sconnie Chinstrap Biscuits & Gravy and Lorax. It was such a relief to finally reach the northern terminus of the Appalachian Trail. We stayed at the summit for a long while celebrating with friends and reveling in our momentous accomplishment.

I'd like to thank my parents again who sent me care packages frequently and kept me encouraged the whole way. If any of you reading this blog have any questions about my experience on the Trail or about the AT in general don't hesitate to message me on Facebook or ask me in person. Oh and yes...I did JUST NOW unpack my backpack :)

1 comment:

  1. just stumbled upon your blog. I've backpacked a lot of Franconia and a lot of Pennsylvania--dreaming of doing the whole thing one day. Loved your posts

    ReplyDelete